As winter draws to an end and spring approaches, boat owners around the country are dusting off their fishing gear and water skis in preparation for spring launch day. In addition to taking stock of your gear, you need to ready your vessel. The folks at Discover Boating have created a preseason punch list to guide you as your prepare your boat for launch.
Maintenance Now Will Minimize Problems Later
Preparing your boat and conducting preventive maintenance may not be particularly enjoyable, but think of it as pre-season insurance. During prime boating season, you’ll want to spend as many days on the water as possible. The more thorough you are now about maintenance and vessel prep, the more reliably your boat will serve you. Break up the following essential tasks across the course of a few days or weekends and they’ll be more manageable. Or, better yet, outsource the job to a qualified boating mechanic.
Pre-season Prep Checklist
- Have oils and fluids replaced or topped off.
- Have the engine checked and tuned up to deliver optimal performance and fuel efficiency.
- Change your outboard motor’s lower gear-case oil if you didn’t do so prior to winter.
- Check the structural integrity of belts and hoses.
- Check water and bilge pumps.
- Check all electronics systems to ensure they’re working properly.
- Flush out your drinking-water tank and fill it with fresh water.
- Stock up on spare parts that will help if your boat breaks down on the water.
About Mariners Insurance
Mariners Insurance was founded in 1959 to protect boat owners and marine business clients. We are marine insurance experts, and provide Boat Insurance worldwide – in every ocean on the planet. Marine insurance is critical if you own a boat or nautical business. Trust the professionals – trust Mariners Insurance. Call us, 888-402-5018, any time you have questions or concerns about insurance for your vessel or marine business.